Jan 31, 2015

HFS January 2015 Challenge: Foundations

When I became interested in sewing historical and steampunk garments the one item I was almost certain I would never make was a corset.

You know where this is going, right?

And being a slow sewer, a slower, if you will, gosh darn it, I'm not finished. Today the challenge is due, so better something than nothing I felt.

And actually this is a sewing milestone for me, not only my first corset, but the first time I've used a commercial pattern which I bought new (and not a vintage thrifty bargain or indie download) Simplicity 9769.

This pattern is a dream! I may just become a commercial convert. (Nooo!) The pieces lined up perfectly, I've only had to do a few minor fitting changes which even my intermediate sewing skills could handle. The whole thing was nowhere near as scary as I imagined it would be.

Full disclosure, this corset isn't intended as a historical replica. It's part of my investigation into corsets and back support. So the two main adjustments I've done is I've swap the busk with a zipper, and the grommets with fabric loops, both substitutions being to make it washing machine friendly.

One final apology, I'm having a little trouble uploading my photos today, and I just don't have the energy to fix it, so the rest will have to come later... *sigh*


  1. I've only made the chemise from that pattern, but I was quite happy with how that turned out. I'm looking forward to seeing your corset.

  2. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos! Well done for completing this, I imagine it wasn't a simple make.

  3. I have friends who have made corsets but it's far beyond my level!