It has taken me ages to figure out how to use the stitch pattern cams that came with my vintage Empisal sewing machine, because there are no instructions anywhere online (seriously, am I the only one who has one of these awesome machines??) but now that I have I wanted to share a tutorial just in case it will help someone else.
How to Use Stitch Patterns Cams on a Empisal Goldline zig-zag sewing machine, Model GL-2E
- Select a Cam
- Set the ZigZag control to the max - this step is important
- Open up the top cover housing.
- Peer inside and locate the tooth gear wheel - don't worry, it's obvious.
- Place the cam exactly centre on the gear, aligning the hole in the cam with the small knob on the gear. It should fit nicely and sit perfectly flat. [If it doesn't, check you set the zig-zag to 5]
- Only now loose the dial controlling the zig-zag length so the stitch width goes down to zero. No need to re-tighten the dial.
- Reduce the stitch length to as small as you can - mine is set to half a stitch. You'll probably need to play around with the length once you start stitching.
- Close up the cover and proceed to sew.
- Magic! The cam now controls the stitch that is produced.